Friday, February 17, 2012

My Little Happy Wanderer

Leif was my little "Happy Wanderer." He loved to be out, going places, just about any place, the city, the woods, the beach. When we lived in Germany, we went on lots of Volksmarches (organized hikes I've written about before). Our boys had their little backpacks to take things along with them. Leif, when he was this little, often took a stuffed animal along for the ride.

This photo was taken in the Fürther Stadtwald, the City Woods of the city of Fürth, Germany, in the fall of 1977 when Leif was a little over two-and-a-half years old.

I was looking for a photo that I was pretty sure I didn't ever have, one of me singing to my boys, or playing the guitar and singing, and since I didn't have one but wanted to post a list of songs I used to sing to them at night. Sometimes we also sang them while driving in the car. I'm sure the list isn't complete, but I'm surprised I remembered over sixty songs I sang.

This photo goes with "The Happy Wanderer," which I used to sing to them. I loved that song, which I learned in grade school. Here is the list I came up with. Happy memories come with all those songs. Some of them, many of them, I learned as a child. It was fun to teach them to my sons and pass them on.


1. America the Beautiful
2. Ants Go Marching, The
3. Battle Hymn of the Republic
4. Daisy, Daisy
5. Dixie
6. Do Your Ears Hang Low?
7. Down in the Valley
8. Edelweiss
9. 500 Miles
10. Found a Peanut
11. Four Strong Winds
12. Goodnight Irene
13. Greensleeves
14. Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley
15. The Happy Wanderer
16. Henry Martin
17. Home on the Range
18. Hush Little Baby
19. Inchworm
20. Itsy Bitsy Spider (or the Eensy Weensy Spider)
21. I've Been Working' on the Railroad
22. John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
23. Kumbayah
24. Mary Had a Little Lamb
25. Michael Row the Boat Ashore
26. Moon River
27. My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean
28. My Darling Clementine
29. My Grandfather's Clock
30. Oh, How Lovely Is the Evening
31. Oh, Susana
32. Old Black Joe
33. Old MacDonald Had a Farm
34. On Top of Old Smoky
35. On Top of Spaghetti
36. Once Upon a Dream
37. Puff the Magic Dragon
38. Red River Valley
39. Rockabye Baby
40. Row, Row, Row Your Boat
41. Sail, Baby, Sail (The Slumber Boat)
42. She'll Be Coming' 'Round the Mountain
43. Shenandoah
44. She's Only a Bird in a Gilded Cage
45. Somewhere Over the Rainbow
46. The Sound of Music
47. Summertime
48. Sweet Betsy From Pike
49. Taps (little did I know it would one day be played at his inurnment service)
50. Try to Remember
51. Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
52. Way Down Upon the Swanee River
53. When Johnny Comes Marching Home
54. When the Red, Red Robin
55. When You Wish Upon a Star
56. Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
57. Yankee Doodle
58. Yellow Rose of Texas
59. You Are My Sunshine
60 plus (And Christmas carols, of course)
And I just remembered "Frere Jacques"

No comments:

Post a Comment