Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter - Our Last Dinner Together




Two years ago on Easter Sunday Leif came to our house for dinner. It was the last time I would ever see him alive.

He had seemed reluctant to come because, as he said, his car guzzled so much gas and he was broke, "but not broke-broke." I told him I'd give him gas money ( and did). Had known how broke he was, I would have given him far more!

We had a great evening together. He seemed relaxed and happy. We had our usual lively discussions.

It was March 23, 2008.

In 17 days he would be dead and none of us knew it that night. We didn't know it would be our last time together. I didn't take any pictures. How I wish I had. I treasure the memory of that evening, but at the same time I can't help but wonder how things could go so wrong after that.
----------------------

This photo of Leif, Peter W and Peter A was taken in our quarters in Sagamihara. I had been taking Japanese cooking classes and decided to make a full Japanese dinner for the family and eat it properly on our Japanese lacquer table. I think this was in about 1981 when Leif was 6 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment