Monday, May 4, 2009

Leif's Memorial Service at St. Petersburg Unitarian Universalist Church - April 29, 2008 - The Program Speakers



Following the piano piece, "To Dream The Impossible Dream," which Peter W. and I chose because it seemed to fit Leif so well, Leif's older brother, Peter Anthony spoke about Leif's life, impact on others, talents, and failure to find his way in life. His speech was title, "Who Was My Brother?"

After he spoke, a recording of the Queen song, "Who Wants To Live Forever," was played. That was a quintessentially "Leif" piece of music. He had introduced it to use years ago and found it profound. I can't listen to it without tears because the words so perfectly seem to reflect his own anguish.

I was the next speaker after the Queen song, my "Farewell To My Gentle Giant." After I spoke, Ms. Byrne played "The Sound of Silence."

Leif's friend Jason read the thoughts I had asked him to share with us, poignant ones he had originally posted on his MySpace page.

These were the three family and friendship speakers on the program who were to give prepared, personal remarks. Others were invited to participate later in the service.

Tomorrow I will post more of the service and at the end, some video clips along with the text of some of those remarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment